Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) events at Georgia Tech celebrate and recognize the economic, scientific, cultural, and social contributions of Latinos in the United States. OHI advises a student committee to coordinate efforts with several Hispanic/Latino student organizations in organizing the Hispanic Heritage Month celebration from mid-September to mid-October.
The 2019 theme is “Hispanic Americans: A History of Serving Our Nation."
- Kickoff on Monday, September 16, 2019 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom -- Celebrating Hispanic culture and endeavors, the HHM Kickoff offers live music and food, while guests network and learn more about Hispanic and Latino student organizations.
- 2nd Annual Lecture on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 from 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. at the Student Center Ballroom -- As part of Institute Diversity’s Intercultural Lecture Series, the 2019 HHM Lecture will feature Rosario Marin, former U.S. Treasurer, public speaker, political analyst, and author.
- Mini World Cup on Friday, September 27, 2019 from 1-5 p.m. at the CRC Stamps Fields -- Provides a friendly competition where students play on teams that represent different countries across the world. First and second place teams will receive trophies and each of their players will receive a medal. Don’t have a team but still want to play? Contact Samantha Guada at email@example.com and she’ll try to place you on a team. Team pre-registration is required. Limited to 8 teams. Team registration and additional information is at https://tinyurl.com/HHMCup. Offered in collaboration with GT-SHPE. Sponsored by Eaton Corp.
- Cultural Mastery Workshop on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 from 4:30-8:30 p.m. at the Student Center Ballroom -- An interactive workshop by Ricardo Gonzalez that creates meaningful internal transformation regarding people's approach to diverse cultures and how to connect, create and collaborate with people different from ourselves. (Co-sponsored by OHI, HOLA ERG and Coca-Cola’s Hispanic BRG.) Pre-registration is required: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/6-stages-of-cultural-mastery-registration-69035481985
- "The Trouble with My Name" on Tuesday, October 8, 2019 from 3-4:30 p.m. at the Student Center Theater -- A humor-filled one-man show by Javier Avila that embraces the autobiographical journey of a man who moves between cultures to provide a fascinating perspective of American Latinos who struggle to dispel misconceptions about their identity and place in the world. It examines the issues of language, race, and social justice in an eye-opening performance that breaks barriers and embraces the diversity of a nation whose history is rich and colorful.
All events are free. (Registration is required for the Mini World Cup, Cultural Mastery Workshop, and Lecture.)
Click here to view photos from previous HHM events.